Software development projects can create a power imbalance where the development agency gains control. However, as the client, you should be in control. Something might feel “off” with your current agency, but they’re the experts, not you. In this situation, how do you take the reigns?
Here’s how to evaluate your agency, identify red flags, get the answers you need, and ultimately, decide whether or not it’s time to “break up”.
It’s important that a development agency helps clients understand the reality of their project: the good, the bad, and the ugly. Yet, many agencies avoid the hard conversations, give vague responses, and get upset when you push back.
It doesn’t have to be like that. In order to get a quality product that meets your goals, you’ll need to ensure that there is trust, communication, and proper documentation. To get to that point, here are some questions you need to honestly ask yourself:
- Does something feel “off” (even if you can’t put your finger on it)?
- Does your agency give you the runaround instead of straightforward answers?
- Does your agency get agitated if you push back or ask “too many questions”?
- Has your agency worked to earn your trust?
- Do you get tangible updates on project progress, work being done, and issues that arise?
- Do they involve you in project and priority planning?
When answering these tough questions, trust your gut. If something feels off, it probably is. If that’s the case, we can consult with you to help you gain clarity and decide on the next best steps.
Once you’ve determined that it’s time to switch development agencies, we can help you navigate this sensitive process. It’s vital to know what questions to ask, when to push, and when to back off. The first questions to ask:
- Who owns the intellectual property (IP)?
- How is the contract set up?
- What legal recourse do you have, if it gets to that point?
- How far along in the project are you?
- What tech stack is being used?
- Where is the product being hosted?
Other factors you need to consider include:
In an industry fraught with bloated budgets, missed deadlines, and unrealized expectations, Steadynamic is a guiding light. We can help you find success at any point in your software development journey, bringing unmatched problem-solving, precision, and peace of mind to the process. We provide custom solutions to sophisticated technology challenges—always on time and on budget.